News and updates from Education Works - providing innovative, effective
support programmes in reading, speaking, listening and maths.
Our Mathematics Consultant, Sam Adams, has recent Year 6 teaching experience in schools in their run-up to SATs. He is now offering his latest, in school, support package. This is filled with ideas / resources and ‘booster’ support, including:
- Targeted Booster Lessons for groups or classes on the ‘tricky stuff’
- The ‘I-book’ idea – a personal journal of key definitions or things I find hard to remember
- The Museum Revision Wall – children select the elements that they find are the most difficult to remember and they are displayed as museum exhibits, but with a twist
- Year 6 Learning Mats – laminated A3 versions that act as an aide-memoire for children – my own personal revision wall
- ‘Bad News, Good News’ – Paper 1 support – a small group of children will be told that there is some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that we are about to do a test, but the ‘Good News’ is that the adults will be taking it…but with a twist
- Modelling the TECC approach – taken from the T4M course (refer to ‘What we do’ – Mathematics section) is a collaborative way of tackling word problems so that the children have to think and talk about the problem, record their thoughts and then use that conversation checklist to estimate, calculate and check their answers. This will support children in answering word problems in the reasoning papers.
If you would like Sam to support your work with year 6, in school and would like more information about availability and costs, please contact him at email@example.com
Talk4maths is a well-received training session for primary schools, that takes place over two half days. Created by Sam and Clare, this practical, interactive course focuses on problem-solving skills and fluency across the age range and in all mathematical strands. It supports schools to address the three aims of the National Curriculum and places talk at the heart of learning.
Sam is now offering further Train the Trainer sessions in Talk 4 Maths through a two-hour e-tutorial that will give Lead Maths teachers / City Council consultants the necessary background and resources to lead this training.
New Tutorial dates and times, for the summer term, are as follows:-
Monday 26 June 2017: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m and 13.30 to 15.30 p.m.
Friday 30 June 2017: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Friday 7 July 2017: 13.30 to 15.30 p.m.
The cost for a tutorial is £75 + VAT, which includes a trainer disc. If you would like to book a place on one of these tutorials, please click here
You will also be provided with a certificate following the tutorial that will confirm your T4M trainer status.