The Maths Wizard
The Mathematics Wizard - Maths Wizard for short - is a fun, interactive, effective Using and Applying day for the whole school.
The Maths Wizard, aka Sam Adams, Education Works' Mathematics and Schools Improvement Consultant has put together a UAM/problem solving day for mathematics. Here is what a day with the Maths Wizard can provide:
Maths Wizard Benefits
- allows opportunities to use and apply mathematics in enjoyable large-scale group tasks
- actively promotes speaking and listening strategies
- actively promotes problem-solving, reasoning, communication and enquiry
- covers a range of mathematical strands across the whole school - Foundation to Year 6
A Day with the Maths Wizard
- I will lead a whole-school launch/assembly at the start of the day – possibly as a start for a Maths Week / Enquiry Week
- I will provide a short UAM/problem solving session for every class across school – sometimes in class or sometimes in a bigger space – e.g. the hall
- Each session supports the four aspects of UAM – i.e. Problem-solving, Reasoning, Communicating and Enquiry
- The sessions actively promote Speaking and Listening and group work/group collaboration (using some of the ideas created by Clare Reed – Education Works Speaking and Listening Consultant – from Talk Across the Curriculum)
- I will stay in role / in character throughout the day...ahem...and thus it will be so!
Feedback from a recent ‘wizarding’ day was: "The maths wizard day was brilliant - everyone enjoyed it." a Keighley Head Teacher