News and updates from Education Works - providing innovative, effective
support programmes in reading, speaking, listening and maths.
Our Maths Fluency Plans are really making a difference in schools.
Katie Bentley, Assistant Head Teacher and Maths Subject Leader at Farfield Primary School, Bradford, has written an article about the impact that the Maths Fluency Plans are having in her school and how they are underpinning planning. It was published in the TES on 25 May; click here to read the article in full. (please be aware that you will need to subscribe to the TES online to read beyond the first paragraph. This is free and just requires a user name and password)
If you want to learn more about the plans read on...
Fluency is one of the three main aims of the National Curriculum. Computational fluency is all about having efficient and accurate calculation methods and procedural fluency is the ability to apply procedures accurately and effectively.
Could these definitions be broadened out to include ‘in-strand’ and ‘cross-strand’ fluency? Are children shown how to make links? Does our planning incorporate these opportunities?
Our Specialist Maths Consultant Sam Adams answers all these questions and more with our new 'Fluency Plans'. The Fluency Plans are a set of medium-term planning overviews to support planning from Year 1 to Year 6.
- As far as is practicable, they set out the strands and objectives in a logical order – e.g. MONEY follows ADDITION & SUBTRACTION, as we are making totals and giving change
- All Key Performance Indicators are listed for each year group
- Non-statutory guidance is referenced to support objectives
- Each year group has clear cross-strand and in-strand fluency links identified / illustrated
- There is an age-appropriate glossary of terms for Year 1 through to Year 6
- Teachers will use the Fluency Plans to ensure a logical progression through a unit, half-term, term, academic year - avoiding the gaps in knowledge at the year’s end
The plans can be bought individually (electronic and hard copy included) Y1 and Y2 - £13 each; Y3 and Y4 - £14 each; Y5 and Y6 - £16 each, or as a discounted school bundle with the plans from Y1-Y6 (price - £75, saving £11)
Visit our online shop to buy this brand new resource.